Maintaining good dental hygiene is not only important for your mouth, but it is also important for your overall general health. Studies have found links between periodontal (gum) disease and other health conditions. Therefore if you follow these 10 easy tips you can help with the prevention of oral health issues.
- Attend your dentist for a six monthly clinical examination. Your dentist will look for early signs of tooth decay, signs of gum disease and an oral cancer screening.
- Brush for 2 minutes, twice a day.
- Make sure you brush all surfaces of your teeth, especially the backs of your teeth.
- Change your toothbrush/tooth brush head every 3 months.
- When brushing, remember to clean your tongue as well.
- Floss or use interdental brushes at least once a day.
- Use a mouthwash that is recommended by your dentist.
- Reduce the amount of tea, coffee, alcohol and fizzy drinks that you drink as they can cause staining, erosion and tooth decay.
- Maintain a well balanced diet. Vitamins and nutrients are vital to a healthy mouth e.g. calcium decreases risk of bone loss and ultimately tooth loss. Omeaga-3 (which is found in fish etc.) reduces inflammation which therefore lowers risk for gum disease.
- Cut down or even quit smoking! As well as causing staining, smoking is also a big factor in causing gum disease.
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!
Written by Admin on 29/03/17